Skin Health Overview
Your skin - which is your largest organ - is also your most vulnerable organ, due to the fact that it is your protective barrier from the environment. Because of that function, it is constantly subjected to environmental injury and physical trauma. In addition to protecting all of your internal organs the skin has many physiological roles, including: elimination of fat soluble toxins, immune system defense, vitamin D 3 synthesis, nutrient storage, moisture retention, body temperature regulation and self repair. The skin’s ability to fulfill these varied tasks is adversely affected by stress, aging, suboptimal dietary and lifestyle habits. In fact, as we age, dietary supplementation becomes increasingly important not only because our needs increase but because, often, our dietary absorption is diminished.
Self repair cannot be overlooked because of the skin’s constant exposure to environmental injury (often referred to as ‘weathering’), including sunlight (ultraviolet and infrared rays), pollution and cold temperatures. In addition, an array of chemicals in skin care products, including soaps, perfumes, and numerous other personal care products, can have a significant impact upon your skin condition and appearance. Visibly, their combined actions deteriorate and dull the skin and contribute to the hallmark signs of aging, including fine lines, wrinkles and alteration in pigmentation such as brown patches (e.g., solar lentigos, melasma). Now more than ever, the many punishments endured by the skin over the course of a lifetime are being recognized. And thanks to scientific study and understanding, there is something that you can do.
Optimal skin health and vitality cannot be attained only through the application of topical products. Although topically applied products are essential for attaining and maintaining skin health and hygiene, the skin also needs nutrients and supplements that can only be obtained through dietary consumption. Fortunately, there is extensive scientific evidence to indicate that natural extracts and nutrients contain biologically active molecules (e.g., catechins, flavonoids, polysaccharides, carotenoids, and other phytochemicals and antioxidants) that can support and protect skin physiology at its very foundation. The goal of therapy is to support:
- Neutralization of reaction oxygen species (ROS)
- Epidermal immune defense
- Collagen reinforcement
- Moisture retention
- Nourishment with vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids (EFA) and amino acids (AA)
Skin Health Program
To promote optimal skin health we offer a Skin Health Program that provides vitamins, minerals, essential nutrients, and antioxidants. While some products that may be recommended to you will benefit everyone - because everyone’s skin has certain basic requirements - additional supplementation will be based your special skin needs or problems, such as severely dry skin or a tendency towards eczema. After thorough evaluation and skin analysis, including evaluation with the VISIA® Complexion Analysis , a skin care program specifically tailored for you will be recommended. The goal of this program is to optimize your skin appearance and function.
The products, which we recommend are produced by PURE ENCAPSULATIONS, the leading manufacturer of physician-recommended nutritional supplements in the U.S and Europe.
The basic skin program will include :
- Protect & Nourish A.M.
What it contains : Powerful antioxidant and photoprotective ingredients combined with exceptional nutritive factors.
What it does : Defends the skin from free radical damage and photoaging in addition to providing vital nutritional factors, maximizing skin function while helping to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.*
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Vitamin C
- Green Tea Extract (providing catechins, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and other polyphenols)
- Pine Bark Extract (Pycnogenol® , providing proanthocyanins)
- Pomegranate Extract (providing ellagic acid, anthocyanins, tannins)
- Coconut Water Solids (providing vitamins, minerals, amino acids)
- Hawaiian Spirulina (one of the most nutrient dense foods providing concentrated protein, amino acids, vitamins and naturally chelated minerals)
- Renew & Hydrate P.M.
What it contains : Essential components for collagen reinforcement and skin hydration combined with restorative antioxidant and immune defense compounds. This includes:
What it does : Bolsters the skin’s collagen network, repletes cellular energy, boosts antioxidant protection and provides hydrating properties, supporting skin function and renewal, and minimizing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.*
- Vitamin C
- Grape Seed Extract (providing proanthocyanidin)
- ACTIValoe ® (containing Modified Aloe Vera polysaccharides, or MAPs)
- BioCell Collagen II ® (hydrolyzed Type II collagen + providing chondroitin sulfate, hyaluronic acid, lysine, praline and hydroxyproline) + derived from chicken
- Defy the Elements extra
What it contains : Advanced antioxidants and specialized extracts for extra skin protection against factors including sun exposure, pollution and stress. This includes:
What it does : Helps revive lack luster skin compromised by the elements and provides added antioxidant, photoprotective and detoxification support to preserve skin function while helping to diminish the general signs of aging. *
- Vitamin C
- Astaxanthin (a naturally derived carotenoid)
- White Tea (providing epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) and other polyphenols)
- Varuna Extract (providing saponins, tannins, triterpenes, including Lupeol)
- Milk Thistle (providing silymarin)
- Celluphase (providing broccoli with sulforaphane and glucosinolates)
In addition to the basic skin program, based upon your specific needs, some of the following complementary support products may be recommended:
- Essential Fatty Acids :
- Flax Seed Oil : An excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids. This can be a useful adjunct, especially for those prone to excessively dry skin. Although both omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acid supplementation may be most helpful during the cold and dry months of winter, these essential fatty acids are excellent supplements throughout the year.
- Borage Oil : An excellent source of omega 6 acids. This can be a useful adjunct, especially for those prone to eczema and excessively dry skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid : for extra firming and hydration support*
- VitaTrienols : for extra nourishment, smoothness and protection*
- Lutein and Lycopene : for extra protection from sun induced free radicals*
- l-Carnosine : for extra collagen support and cell rejuvenation*
- Phosphatidylcholine : for extra moisture retention and cell integrity*
- l-Proline and l-Lysine : for extra firming support*
Schedule a Skin Evaluation with one of our Skin Care Consultants. A customized skin care program will be suggested to promote your optimal skin health.
Do you have a question?
You may E-mail your questions to us at: info@AnnapolisCosmeticCenter.com
Schedule an appointment:
You can schedule an appointment for a consultation by calling the office at: 410-974-6444
*This is a statement of nutritional support. This statement has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.